At Edovo, our mission is to help everyone connected to incarceration build better lives. We’ve created a secure digital platform to expand education behind bars, reduce recidivism and to support the vocational, rehabilitation and communication needs of the 2.2 million people in jails and prisons. Users have access to thousands of hours of self-guided learning materials. Upon release, our learners have the option to continue their progress on the outside. Edovo offers courses in subjects ranging from basic literacy and GED to career exploration and cognitive behavioral therapy. We’re also building tools to keep people in touch with jobs, social services, friends, and family. Our team is committed to supporting opportunities for justice-involved people.
Don’t take it just from us. Awards, publications, grants, and partnerships all around the country are recognizing the momentum and impact of Edovo. A select few: Global EdTech Startup Champion in London out of 1,000+ competitors; GIIRS Platinum Rating for social impact; MacArthur Foundation Grant Award Winner; Forbes article feature; Chicago Community Trust grant award winner; Impact Engine portfolio member; SXSW Civic Tech Innovation Pitch Competition runner-up; Chicago Innovation "Up and Comer" Award winner; and so much more.
Check out a brief picture of our program from the perspective of the people who use it. Visit us on Vimeo to learn more
This position is located at the Cook County Jail in Chicago, IL, and this employee will work within the secure area of the jail. Candidates must pass background checks performed by the Cook County Jail in order to be hired and may be subject to additional background checks during employment.
The Onsite Support Specialist (OSS) is a member of Edovo’s Field Operations team, and works onsite at one of Edovo’s largest and most important customers, the Cook County Jail. The OSS is responsible for providing application and user support for Edovo’s inmate telephones and tablets. The OSS is an expert in the customer-specific configuration of the phone and tablet systems, and interfaces directly with inmates and jail staff to resolve issues, run reports, provide training, etc. A successful candidate will be excited by Edovo’s mission, safety minded, and comfortable working amongst the incarcerated population at the jail.
Note, this role requires the employee to work non-standard business hours, including weekends.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The duties and responsibilities described below are subject to change and are not meant to be an exhaustive list for this role. Employees may be required to perform other related duties as assigned to ensure workload coverage.
- Customer Support. This includes managing the support voicemail, personally resolving issues, and acting as liaison between Edovo staff and the customer. The OSS must be able to understand complex issues, communicate those issues to customers and coworkers, and recommend solutions.
- Account Management. This includes working directly with inmates and onsite jail staff to proactively identify and resolve issues.
- Training. This includes providing training to inmates and jail staff on the use of Edovo’s systems and applications.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountable, able to establish priorities and work independently.
- Curious, a fast learner, with a high attention to detail.
- Interacts professionally with Edovo customers, understand their needs, and support them.
- The ability to build sustainable relationships and trust through open and interactive communication.
- Strong analytical skills and proficient at diagnosing complex issues and communicating, verbally and in writing, with customers and other Edovo staff members.
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Working knowledge of telecommunications networks and technology.
- Demonstrate task management with experience managing a complex workload.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and walk and talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 35 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to have manual dexterity to operate equipment required on the job.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent work experience .
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools and email, and able to learn and use new software applications as required.
- Five or more years experience providing customer support.
- Experience working directly with customers.
The initial travel requirement outside of Cook County will be minimal to none, however this role may require up to 10% travel time as the role evolves.
How to Apply
Edovo is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This is a full-time position in Chicago, IL. We’re looking forward to hearing from you. If you’ve had the chance to read all the way to the end, please let us know by putting “[Unlock potential]” at the beginning of your e-mail subject line.